For hundreds of years, humans have been practicing various methods of detoxification. In recent times, this concept has once again become especially popular. Modern life exposes our bodies to a range and amount of toxins that we have never had to deal with before. Thus, it is important to ensure that your body is processing these harmful substances and expelling them properly to maintain your overall health. One of the major sites for body detoxification is the colon, and so it is important to help support the healthy functioning of your colon. There are many different detoxification methods, however, in this article, we will focus purely on specific supplements and foods that may be added to your diet to encourage colon cleansing.
Goals of optimal cleansing:
- Clear the colon of the built up waste matter and any parasites that may be present.
- Regenerate and aid the beneficial bacteria present in the colon.
- Detoxify the other major organs that act to clean our body, including the liver, kidneys, blood, and skin.
- Provide essential elements and antioxidants.
There are hundreds of colon cleansing supplements on the market and it can be quite daunting to sort through them all. As a rule of thumb, it is important to make sure that whatever supplement you purchase includes safe ingredients and is produced by a reputable organization, meaning:
- It should have a professional looking website.
- There should be some honest testimonials as to the product efficacy.
- Contact information should be readily obtainable.
- It shouldn’t contain the herb cascara sagrada, which has a warning against continuous usage for longer than 1-2 weeks.
- Fiber should be in the form of powder rather than capsules for easier digestion.
- It shouldn’t contain bentonite, which some experts warn against because of its high aluminum content.
- Also, soy protein should be avoided, as it is a common allergen.
Herbs and ingredients that may be beneficial include:
- Fiber, in powder form, especially psyllium
- Yellow dock and burdock
- Red clover
- Milk thistle
- Marshmallow root
- Black walnut
Some health professionals recommend homeopathic remedies to assist in the cleaning of the colon. Certain homeopathic formulations work to stimulate the lymphatic system to increase the drainage of toxins, support the physical process of moving waste matter through the colon, improve liver function, and improve kidney and gallbladder responses.
As always, the best route to a cleaner, healthier digestive system is through a proper diet. You should eat plenty of fiber, which helps clean out any waste residue and supports the proper functioning of the beneficial bacteria present in your colon. Fruits, whole grains, and vegetables are excellent sources of fiber and also the vitamins and minerals your body needs for overall health. Also, make sure you drink plenty of water to aid in the detoxification process.