How can you fight an uncontrollable fate? Well, there is one thing you can do about it: Deal with it!
Women have one sure fate when they get old (aside from wrinkles, of course): Menopausal period. Well, this is sort of a given since women are the only ones that have menstrual periods. Menopause is a condition when women will stop from having menstruation. This is not an illness or a disease-it’s a natural phase in the life of a woman.
So, there is just one thing to do: Deal with it! This article will give the basics such as the signs and the symptoms and things you can do to treat menopause in general.
Timeframe of Menopause
According to some records, the average age when women have menopause is 51 year old. That means the range could be from 48 to 55 years old. However, there are what we called “premature menopause” when women have this natural condition at the early age of 40 and below. On the other hand, it is measured late when women have menopause after 55 years old.
Symptoms of Menopause
There is what we called “Perimenopause”. It is the period when the woman’s hormones change. It can be 3 to 5 years before the last menstruation. She can also experience the symptoms of menopause during this period. Here are some of its symptoms:
- Unbalanced Periods – She can have irregularities in her period. It can be often or less, fewer days or more, heavier or lighter.
- Hot flashes – This is the sudden sensation of heat especially in the upper portion of her body. Some of the symptoms associated with this are reddening of neck and face, heady sweating, red blotches, and cold shivering (that will come after the heat).
- Sleep trouble – She may have night sweats which can disturb her good night’s sleep.
- Vaginal problems – She may feel that her vagina walls are drier and thinner. These problems may be caused by the low level of the hormone called estrogen during menopausal period.
- Mood swings – There can be series of mood changes that can lead to stress and depression.
- Loss of sex drive – During this period, she may lose the arousing sensation and may feel a bit odd about her sexuality. This may cause her not to want any sexual intercourse with her partner.
- Osteoporosis – Menopause is more likely to happen in women than men.
You cannot treat menopause entirely because it’s a natural condition. But you can treat the prostate problems with menopause.
Treatments for Menopausal Symptoms
There are numbers of things a woman can do to treat menopause. Here are some of them:
- Soy – This natural substance has phytoestrogens which may supplement the lack of estrogen in the menopausal body.
- Other substances with phytoestrogens:
- Dong quai
- Black cohosh
- Wild yam
- Valerian root
There could be some needed changes in one’s lifestyle. These could be the following:
- Lose weight – This may treat hot flashes.
- Regular exercises – These could give you the kind of sleep you want.
- Quit smoking – Smoking triggers hot flashes.
- Healthy diet – This can protect your health and liven your hazy mood.