If you have difficulty in sleeping, then you are not alone. Insomnia affects hundreds of millions or even billions of people around the world. Insomnia is often hard to address since there can be several factors that can make it difficult for you to fall asleep. Listed below are some of the reasons why people can’t get some sleep:
- Stress – If you are stressed out physically, mentally or emotionally, you may find it hard to sleep. Being stressed out makes your body produce stress hormones that enable you to adapt to stress but will make you stay awake. Remove or if you can’t at least lessen the causes of stress in your life and this will allow you to get some quality sleep.
- Stimulus – Beverages and health drinks like coffee, certain types of tea or sports drinks contain caffeine and other chemicals that energize your body’s nervous system. Try to stay away from these when you are ready to get to bed. Also noise or light around you can also arouse your senses which can make it difficult for you to sleep.
- Hormones – A lot of women that are beginning to experience menopause may find it hard to fall asleep. This is due to the hormonal imbalance from their menopause.
- Disruption – When you have established a pattern to fall asleep, changes in that pattern like different place and time can disrupt your normal biorhythm and prevent you from falling asleep.
When you experience insomnia the good thing is that this disorder is easily treatable even without help from your doctor. Here are some tips that can address your insomnia in a safe and natural way:
- Create a routine – If your body follows a routine, it often functions well. When it is following a rhythm including a sleeping time rhythm, you will find it easier to fall asleep.
- Avail of herbs that can allow you to sleep well – One highly recommended herb to get some good sleep is Valerian root. It is a plant that has been used for hundreds of years to treat insomnia. Another good herb for falling asleep is chamomile which helps you to relax and get a good night’s rest.
- Power naps – Some people call this nap a siesta and people often sleeping in the middle of the day for an hour and even more. This will disrupt your normal sleep pattern. You can take a siesta but only for just around 10 to 15 minutes just enough to restore your energy and not too much that it will affect falling asleep at night.
- Exercise and/or meditate – Exercise is one way of tiring your body in a healthy way while meditation will help you calm your mind and remove the stresses and anxieties both in your body and mind. They will help you get some relaxing