If you are serious about wanting to lose weight you will want to stay away from fad diets as while you may lose some weight initially it may creep back on again.
Another problem with these type of diets is that you are not really making healthy choices when it comes to your meal planning–which is what will make a difference overall.
The best way to consistently lose weight and to ensure it does not creep back on again is to change your eating habits on a permanent basis.
As many people who have made the switch to eating a diet that consists of fresh vegetables, fruit, whole grains and lean meats testify to, once you have tried a new, more healthy diet you will not want to revert to your old eating habits.
In fact, simply eating a healthy diet and cutting out all junk food and sweeteners will often enable you to lose weight naturally over time. Even though you may only lose a couple of pounds a week you can be fairly certain you will not gain it back again.
These days it is fairly easy to have access to a BMI calculator to see if you do in fact need to shed a few pounds. If you do feel that you eat wholesome and healthy foods yet you want to lose a couple more pounds here are some tips to get you started.
Lose Weight By Eating Healthy Foods
- As simple as it may sound, if you want to lose weight you need to use up more calories than you take in. You can always cut back on your caloric intake or you can ramp up your excercise levels and burn up more calories. In fact, you may want to do both.
- Say ‘no’ to unhealthy carbohydrates. Steering clear of cakes, candy, sweetened soft drinks and other high calorie foods will automatically help you lose weight.
- Sometimes it is hard to plan healthy meals, especially if you are very busy. Look for a book that has Weight Loss meal plans to help you manage your meal planning.
- If you find you end up eating at fast food restaurants at times be sure to make healthy choices from their menus–most serve salads and soups for example.
- Do not fry foods. Instead, you can grill your steaks, broil your fish or bake casseroles in the oven. Choosing lean meat over fatty cuts of meat will also be a help. Trim the fat off meat before cooking it. If you are making spaghetti, for example, fry the ground beef in a pan without adding any oil then pat off the excess oil with a paper towel afterwards.
- Here are some great Low Fat Dinner Recipes for you to try.
- The more fruit and vegetables you eat the better off you will be. They will fill you up, curb your appetite, they generally are not high caloric foods and best of all they are full of vitamins and minerals.
- Try starting off your meal by eating your salad first. That way you will not feel as hungry when you eat your main course.
- Start off the day with fruit by adding it to your breakfast menu.
- Eat raw vegetables and fruit for snack.
- Include a salad with lunches and dinners. If you run out of ideas, check out some Salad Recipes.
- Include more vegetables in your stews and sauces and use less meat.
- Try out some of these Healthy Homemade Soup Recipes for wholesome yet healthy soups.
- Serve more types of vegetables with your meals and cut back on meat.
- Rather than relying on guesswork or estimation, weigh your food portions and measure ingredients before adding them to your foods.
- Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. It will give you a good start to the day and provide you with the energy and calories needed to start off your day. That way you will not be tempted to snack before lunch.
- Alcohol is very high in calories and sugar. Steer clear of it, or severely limit it, if you want to lose weight. Even one small cup of wine will add to your daily calorie intake.
- Be careful what type of drinks you buy. Buy smaller bottles of alcholic beverages so you won’t be tempted to drink too much. Of course, soft drinks are not recommended either. While diet soft drinks are low in calories they are made with artificial sweeteners which are not healthy for you. If you are thirsty, have a tall, cool glass of water.
- Fruit juice is more concentrated than fruit and as such it is much higher in caloric content. Just one cup a day should be sufficient.
- Instead of using cream or full cream milk in your beverages, use skim milk instead. Steer clear of coffee creamer–it is very high in calories. Try getting used to not putting sugar in your beverages.
- Exercise as well as diet to lose weight will make you feel better and help you lose weight faster as well.