Advertising DisclosureThe content that appears on this page are from companies from which this website receives compensation, which may impact how, where and in what order products appear. This table does not include all companies or all available products. may be used in posts without being labeled as such, however every attempt will be made to maintain transparency. All editorial content is written without prejudice or bias, regardless of sponsor or affiliate associations.
Lighten up Your Day with St. John’s Wort
St. John’s Wort is a natural antidepressant that has been around for centuries and is helpful in reducing symptoms of depression.
What is St. John’s Wort?
St. John’s Wort is an herbal medicine that has been around for centuries and is very popular for its antidepressant effects. It effectively improves mood, relieves stress, and feelings of exhaustion. Depression is common nowadays due to our stressful lifestyle which is why mood enhancers have been consistently manufactured. For decades, scientists have been determining how St. John’s Wort works its magic in alleviating symptoms of depression but its exact mechanism still remains a mystery. It has been hypothesized that it affects the reuptake of neurotransmitters in the brain mainly serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine. In the past, St. John’s Wort mostly comes in tea preparations and is best consumed warm to further enhance its soothing effect on the body. However there are already oral preparations available in the market in the form of capsules and caplets which can be taken conveniently three times in a day.
Key Ingredients of St. John’s Wort
The key enzymes in St. John’s Wort are Hyperforin and Hypericin. Other components include quercetin, rutin, luteolin, amino acids, and tannins. This is not the complete list as scientists are still trying to further understand how this herbal medicine really works. The exact concentrations of these ingredients are also not fully established. It is believed that hyperforin together to hypericin affects the reuptake of major neurotransmitters in the body. They mostly affect the level of serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine in the brain. These ingredients seem to block enzymes and neurotransmitters that cause depression.
Advantages of Using St. John’s Wort
- It is a natural remedy for relieving signs and symptoms of depression.
- It improves mood.
- It relives feeling of constant sadness.
- It reduces feeling of exhaustion.
- It reduces a person’s stress.
- It improves stamina and productivity.
- It has been subjected to different studies and clinical trials.
Disadvantages of Using St. John’s Wort
- It cannot be combined with other antidepressant products and medications since it can cause imbalances in the levels of neurotransmitters in the body.
- It can increase the risk of bleeding in people taking blood thinners.
- It can affect the blood clotting capability of the body thereby increasing the risk of hemorrhage for people who is to have surgery.
Who Should Take St. John’s Wort?
St. John’s Wort can be taken by:
- People who are experiencing signs and symptoms of depression.
- People who experience constant stress from work and everyday life.
- Individuals who is consistently feeling blue and sad.
- People who feels exhausted from doing even simple things.
- Individuals who feels down even after engaging into different activities.
- People who want to improve their mood.
- Individuals who want to improve their outlook in life.
The Cost of St. John’s Wort
St. John’s Wort comes in two preparations:
- Tea: A 4oz of dried St. John’s Wort that can be made into tea costs around $4.
- Capsules or Caplets: A 90-count bottle of 300mg St. John’s Wort capsules costs around $20-25.
Will St. John’s Wort Show Results?
St. John’s Wort will definitely show results if used as directed. It has been subjected to various researches and clinical trials which have proven its effectiveness on relieving signs and symptoms of depression. In fact scientists have been trying to isolate the exact component of St. John’s Wort that possesses its antidepressant effect.
Is St. John’s Wort Right for You?
St. John’s Wort is suitable for you:
- If you are experiencing signs and symptoms of depression.
- If you have been constantly feeling sad and down.
- If you have been feeling exhausted and stressed.
- If you don’t have allergy to St. John’s Wort.
- If you are not taking any antidepressant medications or products.
- If you are not consuming alcoholic drinks.
- If you are not diagnosed with any medical condition.
- If you are not taking blood thinners like Warfarin, Heparin, Aspirin, and other medicines that affect blood clotting.
- If you are not scheduled for surgery within 2 weeks.
- If you are not pregnant or providing breastfeeds.
Is St. John’s Wort Worth Purchasing?
Yes, St. John’s Wort is worth your every penny. Its effectiveness has been proven by years of studies and research by various institutions. It also received mostly positive feedbacks from consumers who are using this medicinal plant.
If you are constantly feeling sad, exhausted, and stressed then taking St. John’s Wort can be a great help. While it has not been advertised extravagantly like other products, it was subjected to rigorous researches and clinical trials that proved its effectiveness in alleviating the symptoms of depression. Another good thing about St. John’s Wort is that it is not expensive despite its proven benefits. It also offers a good option for people who want to take antidepressant but does not like the side effects that come with it. Since St. John’s Wort is a natural product, side effects are very minimal.