As summer arrives, people think about enjoying themselves outside. But to do so, one must think about beach sun care. If they fail to do so, they could be putting their health at risk. Overexposure to sunlight can carry serious consequences ranging from sunburn to skin cancer.
To understand why proper sun care is important, take a moment to think about how vital your skin really is. The largest organ in your body, your skin is not protected by blood, muscles and tissue…all that stuff is inside. Instead, it is always “open” and forced to battle against outside elements. Ultraviolet rays are one of these elements. And sadly, the skin can only do so much against it. If overexposure continues, the cells become vulnerable.
But hope is not lost as there are ways you can initiate proper beach sun care while still having fun.
What Everyone Needs in Their Beach Bag
- Sunscreen that is resistant against water. Apply the cream twenty minutes before you visit the beach. Then after you go swimming, put on a new application.
- Medicated lip balms, as they keep your lips moistened during the time you are in the sun. This becomes even more important for swimmers, as salt water can also dry out your lips.
- Beach Hats. While it may seem cliche, hats really do provide protection against the sun. Just make sure you wear the right size for your head. Otherwise, you may not get enough protection.
- Hair spray. This is important as your hair can become damaged if you are out in the sun too long. In fact, there are many manufacturers that specialize in “sun care” hair sprays. Stick to these brands, as they have the best ingredients for preventing sun-dried hair.
- Pack cold medicines, aspirins and other over-the-counter drugs. While this may seem silly, you do not want to feel uncomfortable if develop a cold during your time at the beach. This is especially the case for people who spend more than two days there. You do not know what will happen, so be prepared in the event you do get sick.