Ensuring that your hair remains in tip-top condition requires you to engage in a regular hair-care routine. Many people make silly errors in treating their hair which in turn results in split ends, hair breakage, hair loss, frizziness, dull hair and fly-aways. Armed with the basics in hair care, you will never have to suffer the trauma of hair loss at an early age and be content with knowing your tresses are healthy.
Following are a few hair care tips to consider in the upkeep of your hair:
- The biggest mistake people make is brushing wet hair. This is the chief cause of hair breakage. If you want to de-tangle wet hair, either finger comb or use a wide tooth comb.
- A regular, healthy diet and exercise routine will not only do wonders for your body but your hair will benefit too. One of the chief reasons for dull, lifeless hair is excessive alcohol intake or smoking.
- Hair gets damaged when exposed to hot hair for prolonged periods so when using a hair dryer, use the cooler adjustment.
- Focusing the dryer for a long time in one area will not only damage the hair but in turn damage the scalp too.
- A quick way to dry hair is patting it gently with a towel to remove excess water and allowing the hair to dry naturally.
- Tangles can be gently removed with the fingers while drying hair.
- While swimming, the harsh, chlorinated water can be particularly damaging to the hair so use a protective cap while in the pool. Afterwards, use a good quality shampoo and conditioner to treat your hair. Also, it helps to wet your hair before entering the swimming pool as your hair will then be protected against the chlorinated pool water.
- Hair should be washed as soon as it starts to feel dirty. Special care needs to be taken for oily and dry hair. You may have to wash oily hair daily or every second day and dry hair requires a twice or thrice-a-week washing.
- Hair can get used to products which then will cease to work for it so try using different brands every now and then.
- It is important to condition hair after shampooing as it helps moisturize, untangle, reduce static and over-all protect your tresses.
- The proper way to condition hair is spread it evenly from midway through to the ends of the hair. Rinse it out after a few minutes.
The first rule about hair care is knowing the type of hair you have. Accordingly, select the recommended shampoo and conditioner suited to your particular hair type. People with dry hair require extra care as their hair is more prone to tangles and hair breakage than others. An Egg or Herbal based shampoo will do wonders for dry hair. Those blessed with Normal hair will do well with a henna or fruit shampoo. For oily hair, using a lemon or other citric based shampoo will help reduce the oiliness.